[R] problem building first package

Richard Chandler rchandler at forwild.umass.edu
Mon Jun 25 19:28:47 CEST 2007

Thanks so much. I was able to get it installed using:

R CMD INSTALL --docs=normal removal_1.0.tar.gz

However, setting --docs=txt gave me this error:

ERROR: invalid --docs value `txt'

The --help says it needs to be a list, but no matter, --docs=normal
worked fine.

Quoting Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>:

> You can ignore the message about latex (and 2.5.1 RC does not give
> it).
>
> hhc is part of HTML Help Workshop: you either have not installed
> that or
> not put it in your path.
>
> The settings in MkRules affect the types of help for building R,
> not 'R
> CMD INSTALL'.  If you only want text help you need to run
>
> R CMD INSTALL --docs=txt removal_1.0.tar.gz
>

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Richard Chandler wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to build a package from source for the first time.
> I'm
> > using Windows XP. After R CMD INSTALL or R CMD check I get an
> error
> > message that I don't understand. I've tried to follow the
> instrucions
> > provided in the R Installation and Administration .pdf and the
> text
> > file that comes with Rtools, but most of this is new to me and
> clearly
> > I'm missing something. Here's what I've done:
> >
> > -Downloaded perl and Rtools and put them in my c directory
> > -Used package.skeleton() to set up the package structure and put
> the
> > package-to-be "removal" in C:\toBuild
> > -I edited my path to :
> > C:\Rtools\bin;C:\perl\bin;C:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;C:\R-2.5.0\bin;...
> > -I changed the following in the MkRules file:
> > 1)HEADER=C:/Rtools/MinGW/include
> > 2)HELPTYPES = -txt
> > 3)WINHELP = NO
> > 4)HEADER=C:/Rtools/MinGW/include
> > 5)R_EXE=C:/R-2.5.0/bin/R.exe
>
> The last two are for cross-building, not what you are doing.
>
> > -Next, I opened up a command prompt and went to c:/toBuild
> > -Then I ran: R CMD build removal. No problems.
> > -Then I ran: R CMD INSTALL removal_1.0.tar.gz
> > and got this:
> > installing to 'c:/R-2.5.0/library'
> >
> > latex: not found
> > latex: not found
> > latex: not found

Richard Chandler, PhD student
Department of Natural Resources Conservation
UMass Amherst
(413)545-1237