[R] problem building first package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 25 18:58:49 CEST 2007

You can ignore the message about latex (and 2.5.1 RC does not give it).

hhc is part of HTML Help Workshop: you either have not installed that or
not put it in your path.

The settings in MkRules affect the types of help for building R, not 'R
CMD INSTALL'.  If you only want text help you need to run

R CMD INSTALL --docs=txt removal_1.0.tar.gz

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Richard Chandler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a package from source for the first time. I'm
> using Windows XP. After R CMD INSTALL or R CMD check I get an error
> message that I don't understand. I've tried to follow the instrucions
> provided in the R Installation and Administration .pdf and the text
> file that comes with Rtools, but most of this is new to me and clearly
> I'm missing something. Here's what I've done:
>
> -Downloaded perl and Rtools and put them in my c directory
> -Used package.skeleton() to set up the package structure and put the
> package-to-be "removal" in C:\toBuild
> -I edited my path to :
> C:\Rtools\bin;C:\perl\bin;C:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;C:\R-2.5.0\bin;...
> -I changed the following in the MkRules file:
> 1)HEADER=C:/Rtools/MinGW/include
> 2)HELPTYPES = -txt
> 3)WINHELP = NO
> 4)HEADER=C:/Rtools/MinGW/include
> 5)R_EXE=C:/R-2.5.0/bin/R.exe

The last two are for cross-building, not what you are doing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk