[R] Design library installation problem

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jun 13 10:24:12 CEST 2007

Ian Watson wrote:
> Dear Listers
>
> I have tried to install Frank Harrell's two libaries: Hmisc
> and Design.
>
> I found that Hmisc was listed in the list of packages from
> the Install Packages command on the Packages menu, but
> Design was not. I installed Hmisc from this list, and when I
>   issued the library(Hmisc) command, it loaded into memory
> correctly.
>
> I then copied the Design 1.1-1.zip file from the
> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/S/Harrell/library/r/ site and used
> the Install Packages from Local Zip file command.
> I received no error messages and a visual inspection of the
> R\library directory shows Design has been installed.
>
> However, when I issued the library(Design) command I get the
> following error message:
>
> Error in library(Design) : 'Design' is not a valid package
> -- installed < 2.0.0?
>

> I also notice, from a visual inspection of the
> R\library\Design\R directory that there is only one file:
> design. In other directories, eg. R\library\Hmisc\R there
> are usually 3 files:
> Hmisc
> Hmisc.rdx
> Hmisc.rdb
>
> I am new to R, and a bit lost. I have read the R-admin.pdf
> documentation on packages but am still unsure how to proceed
> from here.
>
> I would appreciate any advice, and any answers to the
> following questions:
>
> 1) is there a reason why Design is not listed in the Install
> Packages list as Hmisc is?

Yes. The current version does not pass the checks under Windows. Please
convince the maintainer to fix the package, and a binary will be made
available shortly.

> 2) have I done the correct thing by way of manual
> installation of Design?

Not quite: If you want to install a binary package, it must fit to your
OS *and* to your version of R. The file you used is for an ancient
version of R (given its date!).

> 3) is the absence of 2 other Design files (rdx, rdb) the
> reason for my failed installation?

More or less, see 2.

> 4) what should I try now?

See 1 or install Design from sources. Attention: it will probably still
fail its checks.

CCing to maintainer and author of Design, since the becomes a frequently
asked questions (and nobody checks the mailing list archive before
posting, obviously).

Uwe Ligges