[R] bitmap function in R 2.4.1 vs R 2.2.1

luc.jouneau luc.jouneau at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Jun 12 11:32:07 CEST 2007

Hello,

I work under windows with two versions of R : 2.4.1 and 2.2.1
Ghostscript tool is also installed (gswin32c Version 8.54).

I have a small sample program:
> bitmap("a.bmp")
> m=(1)
> plot(m)
> dev.off()

With R 2.2.1, it works well, but with R 2.4.1 it fails when gswin32c is launched
with following error:
Error: /undefined in WinAnsiEncoding

The difference between the two temporary files produced by the two versions of R
before to launch gswin32c, is that in file produced by R 2.4.1, a part of the
postscript command are surrounded by following lines:
/WinAnsiEncoding [
...some poscript commands...
]

It seems gswin32c does not understand this "/WinAnsiEncoding [" line.
As I am not even a newbye in postscript maybe this line is correct, and there is
a bug in gswin32c, but I would like to ask if some R people already encountered
this problem and how did they manage to solve it.

Many thanks to any contribution

Luc Jouneau