[R] How do you do an e-mail post that is within an ongoing thread?

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Jun 9 10:11:33 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 20:39 -0500, Robert Wilkins wrote:
> That may sound like a stupid question, but if it confuses me, I'm sure
> it confuses others as well. I've tried to find that information on the
> R mail-group info pages, can't seem to find it. Is it something
> obvious?
>
> To begin a brand new discussion, you do your post as an e-mail sent to
>  r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch .
> As I am doing right now.
>
> How do I do an additional post that gets included in the
> "[R] Tools For Preparing Data For Analysis" thread, a thread which I
> started myself yesterday ( thanks for all the responses everybody )?

Just reply all (to the list and the sender of the email, plus any other
recipients in the CC list if appropriate) to the email you wish to
comment on. You can reply at any point in the thread and your email will
end up located in that position in the thread, i.e. underneath the
message you replied to in the thread.

The actual threading is dealt with by peoples own email software (and by
the software used to manage the archives), via some of the headers sent
along with your email, for example:

The long code there is the Message-Id header of the email that the reply