[R] memory error with 64-bit R in linux

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:50:31 CEST 2007

Are you paging?  That might explain the long run times. How much space
are your other objects taking up?  The matrix by itself should only
require about 13MB if it is numeric.  I would guess it is some of the
other objects that you have in your working space.  Put some gc() in
your loop to see how much space is being used.  Run it with a subset
of the data and see how long it takes.  This might give you an
estimate of the time, and space, that might be needed for the entire
dataset.

Do a 'ps' to see how much memory your process is using.  Do one every
couple of minutes to see if it is growing.  You can alway use Rprof()
to get an idea of where time is being spent (use it on a small
subset).