[R] memory error with 64-bit R in linux

zhihua li lzhtom at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:37:14 CEST 2007

Hi netters,

I'm using the 64-bit R-2.5.0 on a x86-64 cpu, with an RAM of 2 GB.  The
operating system is SUSE 10.
The system information is:
-uname -a
Linux someone 2.6.13-15.15-smp #1 SMP Mon Feb 26 14:11:33 UTC 2007 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I used heatmap to process a matrix of the dim [16000,100].  After 3 hours
of desperating waiting, R told me:
cannot allocate vector of size 896 MB.

I know the matrix is very big, but since I have 2 GB of RAM and in a 64-bit
system, there should be no problem to deal with a vector smaller than 1 GB?
(I was not running any other applications in my system)

Does anyone know what's going on?  Is there a hardware limit where I have
to add more RAM, or is there some way to resolve it softwarely? Also is it
possible to speed up the computing (I don't wanna wait another 3 hours to
know I get another error message)

Thank you in advance!