[R] How to install R 2.5 with Synaptic in Ubuntu?

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Wed Jul 4 11:01:16 CEST 2007

>  to end of the entry making it:
>  deb http://my.favorite.cran.mirror/bin/linux/ubuntu feisty main
> However after this it still complains that it can't find "packages.gz"

Just a guess: have you replaced the my.favorite.cran.mirror by a mirror
which is close to you? If you're in UK it would be for example

deb http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/ubuntu feisty main

> It appears to be looking in
> http://my.favorite.cran.mirror/bin/linux/ubuntu/distsfeisty
> which isn't the directory structure of the cran repository, but
> I can see anyway to modify this behaviour.  Every other Ubuntu repositoy
> I have looked at contains the dists directory.
> Any suggestions for modifying this behaviour are gratefully recieved.
> Many thanks
> Mike Smith

... The simple truth is that interstellar distances will not fit into
the human imagination - (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)