[R] unequal variance assumption for lme (mixed effect model)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Jul 1 23:30:05 CEST 2007

      The 'weights' argument on 'lm' is assumed to identify a vector of
the same length as the response, giving numbers that are inversely
proportional to the variance for each observation.

      However, 'lm' provides no capability to estimate weights.  If you
want to do that, the varFunc capabilities in the 'nlme' package is the
best tool I know for that purpose.

      If someone thinks there are better tools available for estimating
heterscedasticity, I hope s/he will enlighten us both.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves