[R] kate editor for R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 11:20:01 CET 2007

On 1/20/07, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at comcast.net> wrote:
> xft anti-aliasing is incorporated into the version 23 unicode trunk.
>
> So it looks great on a hi-res LCD panel. Without xft, even using
> Bitstream fonts, it was still pretty rough on the eyes.

Humm, call me silly, but most of the time I do not like anti-aliased
fonts: I tend to agree with
http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/faq/entries/Blurred_fonts.html,
where he says "characters look like having been dragged through mud"
:-).

> It also fully supports GTK widgets, which is great if you are using
> GNOME, which I do.

But my .emacs gets rid of the toolbar and scroll bars on start-up (I
find toolbars confusing things that take up precious screen space),
and often work without the menubar (when I am doing familiar work). I
use ion3 (http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/), which, together with
wmii (and followed, at some distance, by fmwv), I find the most usable
window managers, and thus the look of widgets is not that relevant to
me.

So, for most practical purposes (except for resizing with the mouse) I
use emacs as if started with the -w command. (I know, I know, this
looks like going backwards ... must be a mid-life involution crisis
:-).

> xft was added as a patch to version 22, but it was not very stable.
>
> Note that version 23 is in alpha status, so use at your own risk if you
> decide to pursue this. 21 is still the current stable release version,
> but 23 has been rock solid for me.
>
> I can provide you with a shell script to build it. Let me know.

Let me try with the debian packages, and if I have problems, I'll
definitely start bugging you. Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte