[R] linux gplots install unhappy

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Feb 20 19:27:54 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 10:17 -0800, Randy Zelick wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I use R on both windows and a "mainframe" linux installation (RedHat
> enterprise 3.0, which they tell me is soon to be upgraded to 4.0). On
> windows I installed the package gplots without trouble, and it works fine.
> When I attempted to do the same on the unix computer, the following error
> message was forthcoming:
>

> downloaded 216Kb
>
> * Installing *source* package 'gplots' ...
> ** R
> ** data
> ** inst
> ** preparing package for lazy loading
> Warning in library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical = TRUE, lib.loc =
> lib.loc) :
>           there is no package called 'gtools'
> Error: package 'gtools' could not be loaded
> Execution halted
> ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'gplots'
> ** Removing '/n/fs/disk/resuser02/u/zelickr/R/library/gplots'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>          /tmp/RtmpikM2JW/downloaded_packages
> Warning messages:
> 1: installation of package 'gplots' had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages("gplots", lib = "~/R/library")
> 2: cannot create HTML package index in:
> tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)
>

> Can someone provide the bit of information I need to progress with this?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> =Randy=

gplots has a dependency on other packages (gtools and gdata).

Thus, when you install it use:

  install.packages("gplots", dependencies = TRUE, ...)

That will download and install the other packages as well.

There should have been a similar requirement under Windows, so not sure
what may have been different there, unless there is some confounding due
to your not installing the packages in standard locations, given some of
the output above. I presume that this is because you don't have root
access on the Linux server and you are installing to your local user
path.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz