[R] Suppresing default text in pairs.lmList() in package = nlme

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Sun Feb 11 13:06:05 CET 2007

Thanks Ken and Dieter,

I added xlab = '' and the text 'Scatter Plot Matrix' produced by pairs
() applied to an lmList object (in nlme) went away. Skip the rest ---
which is mainly autobiographical --- unless you're curious.

On Feb 11, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Dieter Menne wrote:

> Michael Kubovy <kubovy <at> virginia.edu> writes:
>
>> I would like to suppress the text 'Scatter Plot Matrix' that appears
>> under the plot. Could someone please suggest how?
>
> Must be as special Virginia Brand of lmList. That Test does not
> turn up in my
> output, and the only place I found it in the sources was as a comment
>
> ## scatter plot matrix plots, generally based on coef or ranef

Overnight I flew to New York (a slightly more left-leaning state),
bought a new computer, installed R and all the packages, and then
flew back with the new machine; the symptom remained  ;)

On Feb 11, 2007, at 5:20 AM, Ken Knoblauch wrote:

> It looks like you get this default xlab with splom so the title is
> misleading,
> though pairs.lmList calls splom in some cases, see near the end of the
> function
> where plotfun is assigned a value of either "xyplot" or "splom". I
> was able
> to get the xlab to change by providing an explicit xlab = "machin"
> argument
> to override the xlab argument in the call to splom and which is passed
> along by
> the ... argument.

Is it documented somewhere how to figure this out? It just didn't
occur to me that the problem was as simple as changing the xlab and I
don't yet have the habit of looking at code. Nevertheless I had done
the following:

 > pairs
function (x, ...)
UseMethod("pairs")
<environment: namespace:graphics>

... which did not make me happy. So then I tried:

 > pairs.lmList
Error: object "pairs.lmList" not found

... which did not make me happy. So then I tried:

 > apropos('pairs')
[1] "pairs"         "pairs.default" "panel.pairs"
 > pairs.default
function (x, labels, panel = points, ..., lower.panel = panel,

... and then my eyes glazed over because nothing I saw seemed relevant.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/