[R] any implementations for adaptive modeling of time series?

Peter Nimda p.nimda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 13:39:49 CET 2007

Hi Ansel,

thank you for the response

> generally speaking, wavelets are known to be good at
> extracting signal from noisy data and are adaptive but
> I am not familiar with any R implementation of wavelets.

I used wavelets before.

1. wavelets is just a particular case of orthogonal function
systems. playing with different orthogonal function
systems one can find some "high effective" basis.
However this approach is hardly something what one
can adapt on fly while processing the real data.

2. wavelets are not stochastic and adapting a noise
model as well as random changes in trend is also
quite essential in my case.

> A simple way of looking at changes would be to use CUSUM (strucchange
> package).
> I hope this helps.
> Ansel.

thank you Ansel, i will look at this package right away.

kind regards
--
P.