[R] Wiki for Graphics tips for MacOS X

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:42:29 CET 2007

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> gmail.com> writes:

> To get the best results you need to transfer it using vector
> graphics rather than bitmapped graphics:
>
> http://www.stc-saz.org/resources/0203_graphics.pdf
>
> There are a number of variations described here (see
> entire thread).  Its for UNIX and Windows but I think
> it would likely work similarly on Mac and Windows:
>
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/32297.html

  yes, but:

  the whole point of this discussion was that there _is_ no
vector format that anyone knows of that (1) can be reliably
created on MacOS using R/open source tools and (2) can be
reliably imported into MS Word (with working preview etc.).
The thread you reference assumes that one has a Windows machine
handy (with or without R installed) for creating WMF
graphics.
  Hence the advice to create a high-resolution PNG, which
seems to work well enough even if it is not optimal.

  cheers
    Ben Bolker