[R] RSNPper SNPinfo and making it handle a vector

Vincent Carey 525-2265 stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 5 13:36:26 CET 2007

> I am not a card-carrying Bioinformatician or Biostatistician. At the risk of
> demonstrating naivete let me ask "if you have reservations about snpper and
> its durability why not query dbSNP?" :
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/
>

> That may be easy for me to "say" since I don't have the skills to do the
> programming, I am a pediatric otolaryngologist.

another good question.  dbSNP did not, at the time RSNPper was created,
provide easy programmatic access to such nicely curated/amalgamated data from various
sources.  i suspect that is still the case.  but there may be other web services
providing information on SNPs, where a clear specification exists regarding what you
issue and what you get back, and what you get back tells you things like SNP
location, role, relation to genes, population frequency, etc..  if you find
one and let me know about it i will consider writing another package to retrieve
SNP-related metadata.

you might look at the biomaRt package in Bioconductor and see if its snp query resolution
facilities meet your needs.