[R] [BioC] possible spam alert

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 1 00:52:39 CET 2007

Hi Mark,

I'm sending this off-list because I don't want to unnecessarily fill
people's inbox if I'm wrong.

I think you are misunderstanding Patrick's problem. The point is kind of
subtle and requires a bit of knowledge of how e-mail works.

What he is complaining about is that people take a random message on the
mailing list, hit reply and then change the subject, as opposed to
creating a new message.

For most people this ends up being the same: a new message appears with
a new subject heading.

In some cases, which include the archiving system, the e-mail client
tries to organize the e-mails by threads. Because some people tend to
change the subject name inside of a thread, there is an additional
(hidden) identifier that is used. This means that if you replied to a
random message, you are now associated to an unrelated thread, which is
annoying at best and can cause your message to be ignored at worst. This
is especially true in a high-volume list like R-help, as most people
don't want to jump all over to follow a conversation and having a
completely irrelevant message inside a conversation is confusing.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation. You're not being accused of
spamming, but of not following one of the finer points of mailing list
etiquette. Given the volume of the lists involved and the time and
effort that many people spend in reading and replying to the list, I
think it is a good idea to make the extra effort to make sure that
everything runs smoothly.

Francois