[R] Trying to install rjags on Mac OS X 10.5

Lindsay Stirton Lindsay.Stirton at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Dec 30 17:27:11 CET 2007

Greetings,

I wonder if anyone can offer any help or advice--even direction to an
appropriate source of advice. I am trying to install rjags 1.0.1 on Mac OS X
10.5 (see http://www-fis.iarc.fr/~martyn/software/jags/). I have R.app 2.6.1
installed.

JAGS 1.0.1 is apparently successfully installed. I (think I) know this because
when I type 'jags' into Terminal, I get the following:

Macintosh:Desktop ljs$ jags
Welcome to JAGS 1.0.1 on Thu Dec 27 20:56:09 2007
JAGS is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
.

However, when I try to install rjags, I get the following problem.

Macintosh:Desktop ljs$ sudo R CMD INSTALL rjags_1.0.1-1.tar.gz
Password:
* Installing to library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library'
* Installing *source* package 'rjags' ...
checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for JAGS... configure: error: Package requirements (jags = 1.0.1) were
not met:

No package 'jags' found

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rjags'
** Removing '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rjags'

I am really not sure what the problem is. I have (I think) set the proper
environment variables correctly. See below:

Macintosh:Desktop ljs$ which jags
/usr/local/bin/jags
Macintosh:Desktop ljs$ echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
/usr/local/bin

I should say that I had many other problems
along the way--gfortran not originally installed properly, R CMD INSTALL
couldn't find pkg-config. However, the above description shows the problems
remaining even after I have done a little homework.

Best wishes,

Lindsay Stirton