[R] error trying to load biOps under 2.6.1 running XP

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 09:11:45 CET 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Brian O'Gorman wrote:

> I'm running R 2.6.1 on a WXP machine. When I do the following I get an error
> message.
>
>> library(biOps)
> Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
> unable to load shared library
> 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-26~1.1/library/biOps/libs/biOps.dll':
> LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'biOps'
>
> Please help, or comments about what I'm doing wrong? (It seems to me the
> correct directory or folder isn't being located.)

That message should also have given a message box with more information,
saying what the problem was: it does not usually mean the 'shared library'
named.  It does for me:

'The application failed to start because libfftw3-3.dll was not found.'

Other DLLs are also missing: jpeg62.dll and libtiff3.dll (use pedump to
find this out).  So you need to use Google to find those DLLs and put them
on your PATH.

You also need to read
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.6/ReadMe
and suggest to Uwe Ligges what he adds a note about this (it applies to
SoPhy for libtiff3.dll as well).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk