[R] Junk or not Junk ???

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 7 06:26:27 CET 2007

On 06/12/2007, Loren Engrav <engrav at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> As for news readers
> I found R and R.mac and R.Bio on the sites you recommend, thank you very
> much, they would avoid the individual emails, but then I would have to go
> look at them, which might be Ok
>
> Deluge? Well, there are from R and Bio and R-Mac every morning 30 or 35, and
> 10-15 more during the daytime, and ~50 deletes is painful
>
> But then every morning one or two are useful so...

This what you want to you email filtering for.  Create a (sub)folder
named "r-help", setup an email filter that sends all message that has
a subject starting with "[R] " to that folder.  That way they will not
clutter up your inbox, but you can still browser the r-help messages.

You haven't told us your email client, but pretty much any client I
know of supports this.  I use gmail as my client and there it is very
simple.  This way reading message is no different from reading them
via a news reader.

> Still would be fun to understand why some R are junk and some are not
>
> For example
> Today received two emails from the same person, one junk and the other not
>
> The Not Junk then went
> from sweep.unicas.it
> to phil2.ethz.ch
> to hypatia.math.ethz.ch
>
> The Junk went
> from sweep.unicas.it directly to
> to hypatia.math.ethz.ch
>
> Otherwise the same, so why one junk and the other not?

FYI, I very very rarely get false positives (from the r-help lists)
and hardly any spam for that sake (thanks!) and I've been on the list
for a long time.  I couldn't find a single one during the last 30 days
in my gmail spam box.

It is impossible to tell why some of your message are falsely
classified as spam without know what your email client is.  Some
clients have there own build in spam filtering that you can train by
pressing "This is spam/This is not spam", whereas others rely on their
email provider to analyze all messages and add a spam score in the
email header and then you can set up the client to filter those out
without much local analysis.  The latter is common at universities.

As already been suggested, it is more likely that this something that
you email provider/sys adm should be able to help you out with.  To me
it sounds unlikely that there is something "wrong" with the R messages
or that R mail server is at fault.

Hope this helps

/Henrik