[R] Controlling Postscript output, size and orientation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 10:02:45 CET 2007

Please do tell us exactly what you are doing via a reproducible example
(see the footer to every R-help message).

I added paper="special" to postscript() to make this easier: are you using
it?  From the help page

      The postscript produced for a single R plot is EPS (_Encapsulated
      PostScript_) compatible, and can be included into other documents,
      e.g., into LaTeX, using '\includegraphics{<filename>}'.  For use
      in this way you will probably want to set 'horizontal = FALSE,
      onefile = FALSE, paper = "special"'.  Note that the bounding box
      is for the device region: if you find the white space around the
      plot region excessive, reduce the margins of the figure region via
      'par(mar=)'.

Further, I wrote a pdf() driver to make this easier, so why use
postscript) to make a PDF presentation?

'Adobe' is a company, not a software package.  Which of its products did
you mean?

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Nathan Vandergrift wrote:

> Patrick Connolly-4 wrote:

>> (via

>> par(),
>> that.
>>
>> Check out the paper argument to the postscript device.  I think you'll
>> be more sucessful.
>>

> The issue isn't so much viewing is gsview (I've looked at previous threads
> on this and all my settings in gsview are the ones recommended), but
> creating a postscript file that is ready to be dumped into the LaTeX prosper
> package and have a good looking graph for a presentation. Currently, the
> graph comes out with lots of "white space" on a portrait oriented page.
>
> My work around has been to open the file in Adobe and to crop the file
> (interestingly, when Adobe opens the file, it does not read in the excess
> "white space"). This works fine, but it is pretty inefficient.
>
> I find it hard to believe that I can't control these things in R, but I have
> been unable to so using the reference manual and this site.

Perhaps reading the help pages would solve this?  See the quote above.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk