[R] Controlling Postscript output, size and orientation

Nathan Vandergrift bussia89 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 22:27:20 CET 2007

Patrick Connolly-4 wrote:

> On Thu, 29-Nov-2007 at 01:22PM -0800, Nathan Vandergrift wrote:
>

> |> I'm trying to get my graphics so that I can use them in LaTeX to create
> (via
> |> ) a pdf presentation.
> |>
> |> I've tried controlling inner and outer margins and figure size using
> par(),
> |> to no avail. The ps output keeps appearing as a portrait page with a
> |> centered figure. Nothing I have been able to do so far has changed
> that.
>
> Check out the paper argument to the postscript device.  I think you'll
> be more sucessful.

The issue isn't so much viewing is gsview (I've looked at previous threads
on this and all my settings in gsview are the ones recommended), but
creating a postscript file that is ready to be dumped into the LaTeX prosper
package and have a good looking graph for a presentation. Currently, the
graph comes out with lots of "white space" on a portrait oriented page.

My work around has been to open the file in Adobe and to crop the file
(interestingly, when Adobe opens the file, it does not read in the excess
"white space"). This works fine, but it is pretty inefficient.

I find it hard to believe that I can't control these things in R, but I have
been unable to so using the reference manual and this site.

Trying to do it with lattice plots is even worse...

Using curve, line, and plot, I should be able to control these things using
par(). In a lattice environment, I should be able to control these things
using par.settings().

Oh, well, I'll keep plugging away...

-----