[R] documenting yoru progress

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Mon Dec 3 00:55:41 CET 2007

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:

> If what you mean is that you have a file, test.R, of R commands
> and you are using source("test.R") and you wish to discover the
> name "test.R" without hard coding it in your file, then place this in
> test.R:
>
> ofile <- parent.frame(2)$ofile
>
> and ofile will be set to "test.R".  Note that the line shown should not
> be within a function or other local environment within the file but
> directly at top level.

Thank you, that is an excellent hack, and I will use it carefully
(though often), but it isn't quite what I had in mind.

In my script called test.R, there is a function called "survey.write",
which writes a report based on some survey results.  It is called
several times at the top level.  I would like the report to say how
"survey.write" was invoked, whether it was invoked as
"survey.write(res.raw,res.q)" or "survey.write(bus.raw,bus.q)".
Obviously I have access to the values of the arguments, but I want the
names of those arguments, or a string containing it all.

Thanks,

 -tom