[R] Excel (off-topic, sort of)

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 21:07:05 CEST 2007

On 30-Aug-07 14:43:12, Thomas Lumley wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
>>>
>> Do you know what's in my wish list?
>>
>> I wish spreadsheets and computer languages had gone one
>> step further.
>>
>> I mean, it's nice to define Cell X to be "equal" to
>> Cell Y + 10, and then when we change Cell Y, magically we
>> see Cell X change.
>>
>> But why can't it be the reverse? Why can't I change Cell X
>> _and see the change in Cell Y_?
>>

> Well, most statistical calculations are data-reducing, ie,
> many-to-one.
> I don't think you are likely to find a language where you
> can change the confidence limits for the sample mean and
> have the data change in response.

Well, I have seen *people* do this (mentioning no names), and
with the assistance of software (but only using the software
in the direction Data --> CLs).

However, there does exist software which is capable of learning
people's behavioural criteria, and reacting according to their
estimated needs, so probably Thomas's speculation is not beyond
reach.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861