[R] tcltk error on Linux

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:44:26 CEST 2007

Seth and Brian,

Today and downloaded and installed the latest R-devel and tcltk now
works. My suspicion is that Tcl was not on my path when R-devel was
installed previously.

BTW, I had though that is was a courtesy to cc: the maintainers of a
package when writing either R-devel or R-help about a specific package.
For tcltk, I see:
Maintainer:    R Core Team <R-core at r-project.org>

If it is not appropriate to write R-core regarding packages they
maintain, would it perhaps not be better to remove them as maintainers
or, not suggest that people cc: maintainers of packages? Just an idea.

As for the suggestion that I not use R-devel, I do that because I
sometimes use BioC packages that have just been published and are only
available in the devel versions of BioC. Are you suggesting that only
people who can debug things themselves, and thus who do not need to
write to R-devel, use R-devel? As an open-source user, I thought the
philosophy was that it was useful to have users willing to test beta
versions of software and have those users report problems to developers.
If that is not the case, please put a stronger warning on R-devel and
warn users not to use it unless they are willing to "debug" and take
care of all problems themselves.

Thanks,

Mark

---

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)