[R] tcltk error on Linux

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Aug 9 17:32:07 CEST 2007

Hi Mark,

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Mark W Kimpel wrote:
>
>> I am having trouble getting tcltk package to load on openSuse 10.2
>> running R-devel. I have specifically put my /usr/share/tcl directory in
>> my PATH, but R doesn't seem to see it. I also have installed tk on my
>> system. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Any chance you are running R on a remote server using an ssh session?
If that is the case, you may have an ssh/X11 config issue that
prevents using tcl/tk from such a session.

Rerun the configure script for R and verify that tcl/tk support is
listed in the summary.

>> Also, note that I have some warning messages on starting up R, not sure
>> what they mean or if they are pertinent.
>
> Those are coming from a Bioconductor package: again you must be using
> development versions with R-devel and those are not stable (last time I
> looked even Biobase would not install, and the packages change
> daily).

BioC devel tracks R-devel, but not on a daily basis -- because R
changes daily.  The recent issues with Biobase are a result of changes
to R and have already been fixed.

> If you have all those packages in your startup, please don't -- there will
> be a considerable performance hit so only load them when you need
> them.

Presumably, that's why they are there in the first place.  The warning
messages are a problem and suggest some needed improvements to the
methods packages.  These are being worked on.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
BioC: http://bioconductor.org/