[R] Subject: Re: how to include bar values in a barplot?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Thu Aug 9 17:51:59 CEST 2007

Ted,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I don't take it as the start of a flame war
(I don't want that either).

My original intent was to get the original posters out of the mode of
thinking they want to match what the spreadsheet does and into thinking
about what message they are trying to get across.  To get them (and
possibly others) thinking I made the statements a bit more bold than my
actual position (I did include a couple of qualifiers).  Now that there
has been a couple of days to think about it, your post adds some good
depth to the discussion.

I think the most important point (which I think we agree on) is not to
just add something to a graph because you can (or someone else did), but
to think through if it is benificial or not (which will depend on the
graph, data, questions, etc.).

There are ways to combine graphs and tables, sparklines are an upcoming
way of including the power of graphs into a table.  Another approach for
the bar graph example would be to first replace the bargraph with a
dotplot, then put the numbers into the margin so that they are properly
lined up and not distracting from the points.

I still think that anytime anyone is tempted to add data values to a
graph they should ask themselves if that is an admission that the graph
is not appropriate and would be better replaced by either a table (if
the goal really is to look up specific values) or a better graph.
Sometimes the answer will be yes, the question of interest, or the
obvious follow-up question, will be answered by adding some additional
information.  Then the next question should be: which information to
include? And where to put it?

Can you imagine what Minard's graph would have looked like if he had
included the numbers every time the total changed by 100, and put the
temperatures as numbers instead of a line graph in the main plot at
every 1 degree change?

Thanks for adding depth to the discussion,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at intermountainmail.org