[R] Randomising matrices

Finny Kuruvilla kuruvill at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 27 14:42:39 CEST 2007

Stephanie Dray's comments are absolutely correct.  This method will
only work with small matrics.  The below modification is much faster
than the first version that I wrote, but still slow on large
matrices.

shuffle_matrix <- function(x) {
   nrow = dim(x)[1]
   ncol = dim(x)[2]
   cmargins <- apply(x,2,sum)
   shuffled = array(length(x),dim=c(nrow,ncol))

   while(1) {
     for(k in 1:nrow) {
       shuffled[k,] = sample(x[k,],ncol)
     }
     if(all(apply(shuffled,2,sum) == cmargins)) {
       break
     }
   }
   shuffled