[R] Reasons to Use R [Broadcast]

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Apr 10 04:08:21 CEST 2007

I've probably been away from SAS for too long... we've recently tried to
get SAS on our 64-bit Linux boxes (because SAS on PC is not sufficient
for some of my colleagues who need it).  I was shocked by the quote for
our 28-core Scyld cluster--- the annual fee was a few times the total
cost of our hardware.  We ended up buying a new quad 3GHz Opterons box
with 32GB ram just so that the fee for SAS on such a box would be more
tolerable.  It just boggles my mind that the right to use SAS for a year
is about the price of a nice four-bedroom house (near SAS Institute!).
I don't understand people who rather pay that kind of price for the
software, instead of spending the money on state-of-the-art hardware and
save more than a bundle.

Just my $0.02...
Andy

From: Jorge Cornejo-Donoso