[R] Beginner question: select cases

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Sep 25 14:11:44 CEST 2006

Your problem would be a lot easier if you coded the location in one
variable instead of three variables. Then you could calculate the means
with one line of code:

by(results$q1, results$location, mean)

With your dataset you could use
by(results$London, results$location, mean)
by(results$Rome, results$location, mean)
by(results$Vienna, results$location, mean)

see ?by for more information

And take a good look at your code. You take a subset from results and
the assign it to results. This means that you replace the original
results dataframe with a subset of it. As you take the subset for the
next city, you won't take a subset from the original dataset but for the
previous subset!

ir. Thierry Onkelinx

Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Reseach Institute for Nature
and Forest

Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance

Gaverstraat 4

9500 Geraardsbergen

tel. + 32 54/436 185