[R] behavior of [<-.foo

Armstrong, Whit whit.armstrong at hcmny.com
Fri Sep 22 20:39:48 CEST 2006

Can someone help me understand the following behavior of "[<-" ?

If I define a simple class based on a matrix, the [<- operation only
inserts into the first column:

> x <- matrix(rnorm(10),nrow=5,ncol=2)
>  class(x) <- "foo"
> "[<-.foo" <- function(x, i, j, value) {
+     if(missing(i)) i <- 1:nrow(x)
+     if(missing(j)) j <- 1:ncol(x)
+
+     x <- unclass(x)
+     x <- NextMethod(.Generic)
+     class(x) <- "foo"
+     x
+ }

> x[] <- 100.0
     [,1]       [,2]
[1,]  100 -0.1465296
[2,]  100 -0.2615796
[3,]  100 -0.8882629
[4,]  100 -0.2886357
[5,]  100 -0.9565273
attr(,"class")
[1] "foo"

Based on the behavior of [<- for a matrix, I would have thought that the
data for the whole object would be replaced.

for instance:

> y <- matrix(rnorm(10),nrow=5,ncol=2)
            [,1]       [,2]
[1,] -0.55297049 -1.1896488
[2,]  0.06157438 -0.6628254
[3,] -0.28184208 -2.5260177
[4,]  0.61204398 -0.3492488
[5,]  0.43971216  1.8990789
> y[] <- 100
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]  100  100
[2,]  100  100
[3,]  100  100
[4,]  100  100
[5,]  100  100

Thanks,
Whit

code for above:

x <- matrix(rnorm(10),nrow=5,ncol=2)
 class(x) <- "foo"
"[<-.foo" <- function(x, i, j, value) {
    if(missing(i)) i <- 1:nrow(x)
    if(missing(j)) j <- 1:ncol(x)
    x <- unclass(x)
    x <- NextMethod(.Generic)
    class(x) <- "foo"
}
x[] <- 100.0

> R.Version()
$platform
[1] "i686-pc-linux-gnu"

$arch
[1] "i686"

$os
[1] "linux-gnu"

$system
[1] "i686, linux-gnu"

$status
[1] ""

$major
[1] "2"

$minor
[1] "3.1"

$year
[1] "2006"

$month
[1] "06"

$day
[1] "01"

$`svn rev`
[1] "38247"

$language
[1] "R"

$version.string
[1] "Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)"

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.