[R] Beginners manual for emacs and ess

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Thu Sep 21 10:15:32 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 17:16, Marc Schwartz (via MN) wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 17:03 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I heard so much about Emacs and ESS that I decided to try it out - but I
> >   am stuck at the beginning.
> >
> > Is there anywhere a beginners manual for Emacs & ESS to be used with R?
> > even M-x S tells me it can't start S-Plus - obviously - but I want it to
> > start R...

While following Mark's suggestions, try doing

M-x R

and that might start R.

Then, you can do:

C-x 2 ("split the screen" as is said in other editors)

move to the one without the running R, and open there an R file (or you can
just create it on the fly:

C-x C-f

and in the minibuffer type anything, e.g., "one-file.R"   (without the
quotes).

Then, type

C-h m

and you'll get a list of stuff related to the ESS mode.

And I think you will then really need to look at the ESS doc and go through
the (X)Emacs tutorial (which is available from the help, in (X)Emacs).

HTH,

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}