[R] Successive Graphs

Michael Prager mike.prager at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 11 23:37:44 CEST 2006

Paternostro.Amy at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> Hello! I have written an R script on a Windows platform where I
> calculate eight result matrices I plot using matplot. I would like to
> display the resulting plots successively, rather than simultaneously,
> and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as
> to how to do this. The graphs pop up in this manner by default when I
> run my script in S-PLUS, with tabs separating them so I can view each
> graph at my leisure. However when I run my script in R, each graph pops
> up only for a moment before it is replaced by the next until I am left
> with only the plot of the eighth matrix at the end of the script. Thanks
> in advance for your help!

Others have pointed out the R plot history mechanism, which is
very nice.  A few additions.

If you are re-running the script often and want to get rid of
old windows, you can put near the top of your script

graphics.off()

You can open a graphics window -- with history enabled -- with

windows(record=TRUE)

Plot history is saved.  If desired, you can clear the old
history before making new plots with

.SavedPlots <- NULL

Mike Prager
Southeast Fisheries Science Center, NOAA
Beaufort, North Carolina  USA