[R] Measurements of 3000 criminals

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Oct 26 16:24:32 CEST 2006

Dietrich Trenkler <Dietrich.Trenkler <at> uni-osnabrueck.de> writes:

> Hallo everyone,
>
> excuse me if this is not a genuine R question but I do not know where to
> ask else.
>
> Referring  to e.g.
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2004-December/062114.html
>
> I wonder if these measurements of 3000 criminals (raw data) are
> available anywhere.  At least I didn't find them in the R datasets
> package or by means of Google.  What I did find was a table of
> frequencies of the central values for *grouped* classifications (finger
> lenghts) in the Handbook of Small Data Sets.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> D. Trenkler

  The original paper on JSTOR
(Biometrika Vol I, no 2, 1902, W. R. Macdonell)
gives tables of bivariate distributions (head length
vs head breadth, height vs head breadth, height
vs left middle finger length) for the 3000-criminal
sample, a 1306-criminal subsample, and for a sample
of "1000 Cambridge men".
  It would be an interesting challenge for a
historian of science ...

   Ben Bolker