[R] Fwd: rarefy a matrix of counts

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Oct 11 16:43:23 CEST 2006

Hi

a litle bit different story. But

x1 <- sample(c(rep("red",400),rep("green", 100),
rep("black",300)),100)

is maybe close. With data frame (if it is not big)

> DF
  color sample1 sample2 sample3
1   red     400     300    2500
2 green     100       0     200
3 black     300    1000     500

x <- data.frame(matrix(NA,100,3))
for (i in 2:ncol(DF)) x[,i-1] <- sample(rep(DF[,1], DF[,i]),100)
if you want result in data frame
or
x<-vector("list", 3)
for (i in 2:ncol(DF)) x[[,i-1]] <- sample(rep(DF[,1], DF[,i]),100)

if you want it in list. Maybe somebody is clever enough to discard
for loop but you said you have 80 columns which shall be no problem.

HTH
Petr