[R] Aligning aerial photographs and maps

F.Tusell fernando.tusell at ehu.es
Tue Nov 28 11:39:16 CET 2006

I have read in Paul Murrell's book R Graphics about how to use a bitmap
as background for a plot (page 107). Also, I routinely use function
read.shape() in package maptools to read maps in shapefile format. Now,
I would like to overlay an aerial photograph in .jpg format and a map. I
think I could do the alignment manually for each case, but wonder if
there is a better, automated way. I notice that the .jpg file has a
companion .jgw file which may be of help.

If someone has written code for such kind of alignments or can direct me
to detailed instructions on how to go about,  I would be grateful. ft.
--
Fernando TUSELL                                e-mail:
Departamento de Econometría y Estadística       fernando.tusell at ehu.es