[R] What training algorithm does nnet package use?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Nov 23 08:36:31 CET 2006

Wee-Jin Goh <wjgoh <at> brookes.ac.uk> writes:

> Just to add to this, I also need to know what language is the "nnet"
> package written in? Is it in pure R or is it a wrapper for a C
> library.

As usual, you can download the full source to find out what you want, but it's a
bit hidden. Simply said, nnet (R+C) is part of package MASS is part of bundle
VR, and can be downloaded as a tar.gz from

http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/VR.html

(No private flames, please, in case I should have mixed up package and bundle).

/*  nnet/nnet.c by W. N. Venables and B. D. Ripley  Copyright (C) 1992-2002
 *
 * weights are stored in order of their destination unit.
 * the array Conn gives the source unit for the weight (0 = bias unit)
 * the array Nconn gives the number of first weight connecting to each unit,
 * so the weights connecting to unit i are Nconn[i] ... Nconn[i+1] - 1.
 *
 */

#include <R.h>
#include <R_ext/Applic.h>