[R] What training algorithm does nnet package use?

Wee-Jin Goh wjgoh at brookes.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 16:41:32 CET 2006

Greetings list,

I've just swapped from the "neural" package to the "nnet" package and
I've noticed that the training is orders of magnitude faster, and the
results are way more accurate.

This leads me to wonder, what training algorithm is "nnet" using? Is
it a modification on the standard backpropagation? Or a completely
different algorithm? I'm trying to account for the speed differences
between neural and nnet, and the documentation on the nnet package is
rather sparse on what training algorithm is used (either that, or I'm
getting blind and missed it totally).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Wee-Jin