[R] snow's makeCluster hanging (using Rmpi)

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Tue Nov 7 17:28:10 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 15:56, Randall C Johnson [Contr.] wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I've been fiddling around with the snow and Rmpi packages on my new Intel
> Mac, and have run into a few problems. When I make a cluster on my machine,
> both slaves start up just fine, and everything works as expected. When I
> try to make a cluster including another networked machine it hangs. I've
> followed the suggestions at
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/83086.html and
> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/cluster/cluster.html but to no avail.
> Everything seems to start up fine using lamboot, but then hangs when making
> the cluster in R. Making a cluster with 2 slaves seems to work fine, but if
> I increase the number (to use the networked machines) it hangs again.
>
> I've tried networking to another Mac, and also to a machine running Red Hat
> Linux. Both machines can set up their own local clusters. Does anyone have
> any ideas?

Dear Randy,

A few suggestions:

a) make sure there are no firewalls; I assume this is actually the case, but
anyway;

b) what happens if you lamboot outside R (and create a universe with a local
and a networked machine) and then you do: "lamexec -np 6 hostname"?

c) are the Rmpi and snow installed in the same directories in the different
machines? are there version differences in Rmpi (or Snow) between machines?

HTH,

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}