[R] snow's makeCluster hanging (using Rmpi)

Randall C Johnson [Contr.] rjohnson at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Nov 7 15:56:45 CET 2006

Hello everyone,
I've been fiddling around with the snow and Rmpi packages on my new Intel
Mac, and have run into a few problems. When I make a cluster on my machine,
both slaves start up just fine, and everything works as expected. When I try
to make a cluster including another networked machine it hangs. I've
followed the suggestions at
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/83086.html and
http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/cluster/cluster.html but to no avail.
Everything seems to start up fine using lamboot, but then hangs when making
the cluster in R. Making a cluster with 2 slaves seems to work fine, but if
I increase the number (to use the networked machines) it hangs again.

I've tried networking to another Mac, and also to a machine running Red Hat
Linux. Both machines can set up their own local clusters. Does anyone have
any ideas?

Thanks,
Randy

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.0 Patched (2006-10-03 r39576)
i386-apple-darwin8.8.2

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
   Rmpi    snow
"0.5-3" "0.2-2"