[R] iraq statistics - OT

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Fri May 19 14:12:28 CEST 2006

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> I came across this one:
>
> http://www.nysun.com/article/32787
>
> which says that the violent death rate in Iraq (which presumably
> includes violent deaths from the war) is lower than the violent
> death rate in major American cities.
>
> Does anyone have any insights from statistics on how to
> interpret this?

	Well, I don't.  But I remain very skeptical anyhow.  I had
	heard earlier that the violent death rate for *American
	military personel* in Iraq is lower than the violent death
	rate in American cities --- which seems more plausible.  But
	still not very plausible.  Or maybe major American cities
	are even worse than we had been led to believe.

				cheers,

					Rolf Turner