[R] [ESRI-L] outline polygons of point clumps

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri May 12 20:11:17 CEST 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Xiaohua Dai wrote:

Please do not cross-post. Please also note that R has a list for spatial
data analysis questions, R-sig-geo. Try to decide first what your problem
is, then ask it on one relevant list only, trying later on another list if
no help is forthcoming. Why? Because the lists are archived, and the
archives are only a valuable resource if the record is near-complete. In
your case, fragments will be on several different lists.

I think your first question is "how do I find out which points belong to
an apriori unknown number of clusters in 2D?", and the answer might be
that this depends what you mean by a cluster for your phenomena of
interest.

Since we do not know much about your phenomena of interest (no informative
signature or affiliation), it isn't easy to see what you might think of as
appropriate criteria for deciding which points form a cluster, and which
might help in finding out how many clusters are present. Are you in
unexploded munitions, veterinary epidemiology, direct marketing, whatever?
The consequences of choosing appropriate cluster criteria are obvious, you
will know your own, but we do not.

When the points are assigned to clusters using your chosen criteria, in R
you might apply chull() in an *apply() call, but that is simple, and we
can continue this on R-sig-geo if you like. If a raster grid solution is
what you need - as you suggested initially, we can do that too.

You know your problem domain, you have to choose the criteria for what
constitute clusters first - and there are very many suitable functions in
R for doing that.

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no