[R] RGui: windows-record and command history

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 23 20:42:55 CET 2006

Hi

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 3/23/2006 10:46 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

>>>The history is just another R object.  Saving big R objects on disk
>>>might be desirable, but it would be a big change, so I'd call it
>>>infeasible.  I wouldn't want to get into special-casing this particular
>>>R object:  that way lies madness.
>>>
>>>However, since it is just an R object, it's available for R code to work
>>>with, so someone who was interested in doing this could write a
>>>contributed package that did it.
>>
>>Are there R-level facilities to manipulate the history, not
>>just the top?
>

> Sure, it's a regular R object. You will need to read the source to know
> how to interpret it, and since it's undocumented there's a risk of
> changes in future R versions, but it's not very complicated.  See my
> message to Peter.

Be careful with this.  The objects that are recorded on the display list
are calls to graphics functions PLUS state information in a raw binary
format.  The display list was originally intended for reuse within the
same R session (for redrawing the screen).  If you try to save it and
use it between sessions or (worse) between versions of R you could run
into some nasty problems.  For example, what if the graphics function
interface has changed?  what if the raw binary state information format
has changed?  what if the required packages are not installed?   At
best, your saved object produces errors;  at worst it becomes completely
useless and is unrecoverable.

Paul
--
Dr Paul Murrell