[R] Traffic on R-Help Mailing List

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 17 15:52:32 CET 2006

    Knut> I do not know how many user are not able to receive the messages.
    Knut> It seems that only messages from the list server are not delivered to
    Knut> the mailserver.
    Knut> I am able to receive private mails and I talked with the sysadmin of the
    Knut> mailserver. He told me that he is not able to found any new mail from
    Knut> stat.math.ethz.ch, neither in the spamfilter nor in the log files.

    Knut> I will read with the web interface your answers - if there is any solution.
    Knut> One question:
    Knut> Is it a possibility that my domain is blocked from sending e-mails
    Knut> because the e-mails of the last 2 weeks were bounced back?

    Knut> Regards Knut

1.  Can we  *please*  take this topic off the mailing list?
   It is not related to 'R' really, and of the several thousands of
   readers, only a very small part will have problems.

2. Yes, spam and viruses are a problem for many people in many
   different ways.  But it really doesn't make sense to discuss
   these here.   R-help is for questions/topics related to R

3. The problems an individual sees are almost always a problem
   of "communication" between the individual's e-mail provider/server
   and our mail server.

4. 99% of the problems are not on our side: We send out
   100'000s of e-mails *per day* -- the majority r-help related --
   and of course we have seen problems originating here, but quite rarely.

5. There is the official  r-help-owner at stat.math.ethz.ch
				^^^^^^
   address to which you can send questions like these.
   They are only read by me, and hence cannot be processed at
   high speed (and not when I'm on weekend of vacation!);
   but then, nobody on R-help can really help you
   more with such mail filter problems.

Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich,
Maintainer of (most) R-* mailing lists.