[R] setMethod confusion

Stephen Henderson s.henderson at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 17:32:56 CET 2006

---sorry to repost I sent it as HTML last time---

Hello I've checked through previous postings but don't see a fully
equivalent problem-just a few hints.
I have been trying to set a new method for the existing function "table"
or "as.data.frame.table" for my class "tfSites".
Taking out all the useful code and just returning the input class I get
the error

>setMethod("table", "tfSites", function(.Object) .Object)

Error in conformMethod(signature, mnames, fnames, f) :
In method for function "table": formal arguments omitted in the method
definition cannot be in the signature (exclude = "tfSites")

>setMethod("as.data.frame.table", "tfSites", function(.Object) .Object )

Error in conformMethod(signature, mnames, fnames, f) :
In method for function "as.data.frame.table": formal arguments omitted
in the method definition cannot be in the signature (x = "tfSites")

What does this mean? Is there something peculiar about the table
function? Is it because it takes arguments beginning table(..., etc)

Thanks In Advance

Stephen Henderson
Wolfson Inst. for Biomedical Research
Cruciform Bldg., Gower Street