[R] Command-line editing & history

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 3 16:39:30 CET 2006

    John> Unless, of course, like me, you run vim for religious reasons ;)
    John> Seriously, though, it seems that this functionality is not available in the R Console, correct?

    John> I have tried many GUI front-ends and found that there are both advantages and unfortunately disadvantages to their use---certainly in the way that I normally work---hence the best solution, for me at least, would be to have added functionality in the R Console.

John,

I think you never said on which platform (Unixish / Mac /
Windows) you work, since the "console"s differ.
But in all three cases, everything is built on free software
(contrary to Matlab),  so you could go ahead and improve the
console behavior and post the improved sources for future
inclusion.

One advantage in using ESS has been that you have the (almost)
identical interface on all computer platforms.

Regards,
Martin Maechler ETH Zurich