[R] [Way OT] New hardware

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 09:21:10 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Sean> Can anyone share experience with opteron versus the
>     Sean> xeon (woodcrest) for R under linux?  I am looking at
>     Sean> using 16-32Gb of ram in a workstation (as opposed to a
>     Sean> server).
>
> Hmm, not that I'd be an expert...
> If you want to use so much RAM you want to use a 64-bit
> architecture and software (OS, libraries, compilers,...), right?
> AFAIK, that's been known to work well with Opterons and different
> flavors of Linuxen (e.g. we have dual
> Opterons, one with Redhat Enterprise and two with Ubuntu 6.06).
>
> Now I read that there are 64-bit Xeons with "EMT64" (which is
> said to be Intel's emulation of AMD64), so in principle the same
> versions of Linux and R should run there as well.
> Since I haven't heard of any success stories
> I'm interested as well, in reports from R users.

There have been several posted here or R-devel.  Things do change, but
every time we have had a formal test, Opterons were considerably better
than Xeons on performance/£.

[BTW, I don't think you will get a workstation motherboard that takes 32Gb
of RAM (although things change fast):  my own machine has a server
motherboard in a small tower case.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk