[R] Stepwise selection and F-enter anf F-remove values

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 19:00:02 CET 2006

If this is step() (not Step), it does not use tests. Please consult the
help page which says

step                  package:stats                  R Documentation

Choose a model by AIC in a Stepwise Algorithm

      Select a formula-based model by AIC.

It seems these days we also have to point out that the help pages have
references with the background information and even more detailed
descriptions.