[R] regression with nestedness

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jan 26 02:05:35 CET 2006

	  Have you considered "lme" in library(nlme)?  The companion book
Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus
(Springer) is my favorite reference for this kind of thing.  From what I
understand of your question, you should be able to find excellent
answers in this book.  [You could also try "lmer" associated with the
lme4 package.  However, many of the helper functions needed to do what
you want are available for "lme" but not yet for "lmer";  "lmer" can do
things that "lme" can not, but it doesn't sound like you need any of
those extra features.  Even if you did, I would suggest you first ignore
those issues and see what you can get from "lme".]

	  If this is not adequate and you would like more help from this list,
please submit another post.  Before you do, however, PLEASE do read the
posting guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html", especially the
part about providing a brief but self-contained toy example illustrating
what you tried to do and why it was not adequate.