[R] Easy, Robust and Stable GUI???

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Jan 23 23:43:26 CET 2006

Yes, Rcmdr is certainly the closest match. Note, however, that there are
good reasons not to replicate SPSS style of GUI. This is because driving
an analysis using scripts has three major advantages:

- flexibility: a good, high-level programming language allows to do much
more than even the best GUI. This is because, as soon as you have
programmed a dialog box, you restrict possibilities to the couple of
choices that you hardcoded in that dialog box. With R, the only limit is
your imagination (if something does not exist, you can program it by
yourself).

- traceability: with a GUI, how do you remember all the mouse clicks
that led you to a given analysis? On the contrary, a script is an
accurate record of all steps.

- comprehension: to construct a R script, you must understand the
analysis. R forces to learn the logic behind *before* you can run that
analysis. With a menu/dialog box interface, you can click everywhere and
get results "by chance". Statistical packages with intuitive GUIs tend
to stimulate lazyness: "here, come! Look like I am a sexy GUI! Look, I
am sooo easy to use! And I can deliver you plenty of results, ... No,
no, don't be afraid, you don't need to understand what you're doing.
Just click me!".

So, all GUIs proposed for R are just ways to learn in an easier way how
to write R scripts. Even R Commander tries hard to stimulate use of R
scripts... and you should consider a lack of a "good GUI" for R as a
sign of quality and nothing else.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean