[R] Easy, Robust and Stable GUI???

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Jan 23 22:44:03 CET 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:44:49 -0800 (PST) pat_primate (sent by
Nabble.com) wrote:

> I know that this isn't really a R help question, but I am a
> psychology student at TRU (tru.ca) and my psych department is going
> to be switching statistical software in the near future.  I thought
> this might be a good oppertunity to advocate for open source if an
> acceptable option is available.  I have looked around a bit and R
> seems to be the most stable and mature (not to mention powerful) open
> source statistical program going.  The only downfall is that the
> school has been using spss for years and would demand a similarly
> user friendly GUI based statistical program to replace it.  I have
> looked at a few of the R guis and most of them look like they are
> just command line interfaces in pretty desktop windows and not really
> a gui like spss.  If anyone knows of any stable, userfriendly and
> robust guis for R that would be similar to using spss please let me
> know, as I would love for my school to start embracing open source
> software.

Have you looked at John Fox's "Rcmdr" package?
See
  http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/
and
  John Fox (2005). "The R Commander: A Basic-Statistics Graphical User
  Interface to R", Journal of Statistical Software, 14(9). URL
  http://www.jstatsoft.org/

Also look at http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/ for an overview of other
GUI projects.

Best,